As one of the largest cities in Kentucky, there are plenty of things to do in Lexington; but after living in or visiting the city for years, we don’t blame you for wanting to experience the rest of the state! With plenty of great areas of Kentucky to visit just a short distance from Lexington, there are several day-trip opportunities that don’t require much planning.
Just an hour outside of Lexington, Louisville is located along the banks of the Ohio River and is part of the Bourbon Trail. With plenty of museums, outdoor activities, and history to experience, a trip to Louisville is a must!
Our favorite activities in Louisville:
- Visit the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory to see the world’s largest baseball bat
- Take a steamboat cruise along the Ohio River and experience the city skyline
- Experience the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs
- Take a stroll and take in the nature at Cherokee Park
- Tour Whitehall House and Gardens
- Enjoy a bourbon tasting at Bulleit or Evan Williams
Do you love the outdoors? Then you’ll love Slade! From Natural Bridge State Resort Park to the Red River Gorge Geographical Area, there are plenty of outdoor activities to experience. Bringing your kids? Head to the Kentucky Reptile Zoo to experience a reptile talk or venom extraction!
As one of the oldest settlements in the state (and its capital!), Frankfort offers a great perspective of state government and how it works. The city is also sprinkled with art installations, museums, and gorgeous architecture. If you haven’t visited yet, now is the time to do it!
Fun facts about Frankfort:
- Frankfort is known for having one of the most beautiful capitol buildings in the country
- Frankfort is home to the Buffalo Trace Distillery, the first of its kind to ship bourbon down the Mississippi River
- There is a First Lady Doll Collection located in the capitol building, featuring inaugural gowns worn by first ladies over the last 200+ years